As September brings a new season there are new jobs to do in the garden/greenhouse. There are quite a few varieties of autumn and winter vegetables you can plant now for produce during the colder months – winter and spring cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli, little gem lettuce, chicory and Chinese cabbage are a few options. Our Fruit & Veg compost and our Peat free planter are perfect to grow these in.
Some other jobs we recommend doing this month:
- Divide herbaceous perennials.
- Pick autumn raspberries.
- Collect and sow seed from perennials and hardy annuals.
- Dig up remaining potatoes before slug damage spoils them.
- Net ponds before leaf fall gets underway.
- Keep up with watering of new plants, using rain water if possible.
- Start a compost heap using fallen leaves, grass cuttings, tea bags eggshells or coffee grinds.
- Early Autumn is the ideal time to plant evergreen trees and shrubs while the soil is still warm.
Forker Garden Products – Suppliers of Compost, Bark, Peat Free Compost, Topsoil, Bark and other Garden Sundries, based in County Armagh, Northern Ireland. We supply garden centres, growers, landscapers, hardware stores as well as the general public. We provide specialist mixes for growers to their own specification. Our products suit not only flowers & shrubs – but they are also perfect for indoor/outdoor growing of fruit & vegetables! Delivery available throughout Ireland and UK